“The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
Creating our future is in our own hands. Everybody wants to be successful. We need to get ourselves ready and be on tiptoe. In the present pandemic, our undergraduate students and the students who are waiting to embark a new journey of a professional career are in a quandary, as to how they will grapple up with the current scenario of online education, restriction on movement and work and to prepare themselves for their future career goals? There is light and hope albeit pouring in from a narrow winding road.
“Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labour, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.” Ephesians 4:28
The students should try to gain knowledge in their area of interest or the courses being taught to them along with it they need to earn marks as well, as marks can make them eligible for appearing for an interview, but knowledge shall help them in retaining their jobs. But in today’s world along with knowledge, there are some traits that companies are looking in their future employees. To be successful in your career, you should work on the following skills [Kathy Land, 2021 IEEE President] while studying for your undergrad degree:
- Communication Skills: Expressing ideas and knowledge through oral and written communication are the key to success mantras needed by almost all in the business world. If you have knowledge and you are unable to express it, then that knowledge is of no use, your efforts in earning that knowledge have missed the key element and that is “expression”. To express your ideas, you should have a good command over the language in which you wish to communicate, choose the appropriate lingo; jot down enough points for the topic and above all be simple in framing sentences. There is no point in making the situation more complex and pathetic by using the words not suitable for the context in hand. You need to work on these small nuances the language and participate in group activities like debates, group discussions, mock interviews etc.
And above all be a good reader.
- Teamwork: As most of us are living in nuclear families, we don’t have the habit of adjusting ourselves in teams. This trait can be developed by engaging yourself in team events. Take initiative, include people, share your thoughts, listen to their thoughts patiently, try to understand their viewpoint and take a collective decision by keeping the views of all the team members.
And above all be a good team player.
- Critical and Analytical Thinking: Critical thinking is the process of analyzing the facts and figures and then framing an opinion. That means, we need to consider a wide range of relevant factors that shall help in taking up the decisions. Analytical thinking is the process of breaking the problem into a set of small problems; analyzing the individual grains of the problem and finding the appropriate solution for every wee-bit. For that, you need to be logical, systematic, rational and focused. Try to analyze the things in your day-to-day activities, consider the facts, think rationally to come to a decision.
And above all be a good thinker.
- Interpersonal Skills: Interpersonal skills are a little bit different from communication skills, if you have communication skills, it shall help you in improving your interpersonal skills as it involves your behavior or the way you exchange your ideas, information and feelings with other people, through verbal and non-verbal messages. The process of learning these skills is called socialization.
“Man is by nature a social animal.“
Aristotle, the Greek philosopher had strongly stated. But we need to ask ourselves: Are we Social? If we are having these interpersonal skills then definitely, it shall be reflected in our every move that we make in our homes, offices and society at large.
And above all be a good human being.
- Work ethics: This skill is that we learn at home as well as when we are studying with our peer group. It is a set of behavioral rules that create a positive environment at work. Work ethics should be reflected in your appearance, attendance, attitude, character, communication, cooperation and teamwork.
And above all be ethical.
Your future employers are looking for reliable, dedicated, disciplined, responsible and professional employee who is focused to achieve the company goals and can contribute in their growth as well as that of the society. If your technical skills are not at par with their requirement, but you have all these skills for learning in you, they shall hire you, train you and develop your technical skills. All these skills shall help you while being an employee in a company or you become an entrepreneur. Work on these areas and prepare yourself for the successful career ahead.
“One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.” –Arthur Ashe
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science & Engineering