Engineering is a vast field, and students looking to obtain an engineering degree are often confused about what branch of engineering to opt for. The primary metric to pick a branch should be the interest and liking for the field that students are opting for, but students realize that it is hard to gauge liking for any unknown domain. Therefore, one should do proper background research to get an overview of branches before picking one.
A secondary metric would be placement assurance and packages – this plays a significant role in shaping careers. It is somehow imperative to note that while certain branches have better placement statistics and pay packages, this shouldn’t be the sole consideration for picking a branch. Instead, the primary focus should be interest and aptitude for the content and applications and selecting a good institute.
Bachelor of Technology or B. Tech. is one of the most popular undergraduate degrees that prepare engineers in various domains. However, in the modern landscape where multiple sectors are available for aspiring engineers, decision making becomes even more confusing and complicated. Students and their parents often spend sleepless nights thinking about the right and the most effective engineering branch to opt for.
If you are all charged up choosing Engineering as your primary career, then selecting the right engineering stream should be your next quest.
Students can consider the following points before taking a final call on selecting the right engineering stream for their future.
- Passion-Centric: Alright, the hunt for the right career option begins with your love. Some students love automobiles, whereas some are fascinated by robots and Machine Learning. Some are fascinated by the question of how airplanes are made, whereas others get attracted towards the sea. Primarily, everyone has unique interests and career goals, so students need to find out their primary driving force for putting the first step forward.
After analyzing passion, students should then begin with complete research about the scope in different streams. After applying for various entrance/ competitive examinations, students get enough time to explore the internet. They can read about the scope and career opportunities offered to Engineers on multiple sectors and the pros and cons of that stream. Also, future prospects and aims must be kept in mind simultaneously.
- Assess the complexity level: Yes, the Engineering curriculum is very intensive and requires perseverance. Some branches are pure science, whereas some are multi-disciplinary and fall in the category of applied science. The syllabi are generally available on the internet. Students must go through the entire plan and curriculum before choosing an engineering stream. This can actually help students in the effective assessment of their skills and capabilities.
It is always beneficial for the engineering aspirants to take reviews, feedback, and advice from those already working in that particular domain. The professionals can give them honest opinions, guide them, and also tell about the industry trends that can help in deciding further.
- Strong inclination towards a specific industry: Now, this is again an important question to be considered by the aspirants. First, the students must understand that core engineering branches like Computer, Electrical, Civil, and Mechanical. For core departments, the first-year course is almost the same. So students get an entire year to make a final choice. And there are industry-specific streams like Energy, Transportation, Food Technology, Aerospace, Bioengineering, Marine and Robotics. So, students get an idea where their future lies when they choose any of these branches.
Engineers are generally hired by the corporate for their problem-solving skills and adaptability to a variety of job roles, which means there are a plethora of job opportunities out there. So, the aspiring engineering students have a lot of opportunities, streams, and job roles awaiting them.
- Explore the possible job opportunities: This is a critical and essential factor in exploring all the potential job opportunities and job profiles before choosing a branch. The job profiles would help students to understand what kind of work will be offered to them as an Engineer. For example, the job profile and level of a marine engineer are entirely different from an aeronautical engineer.
This sums up almost 80 percent of a student’s mindset as the principal aim for any aspiring student is to get placed with an excellent salary package. So, when students can identify and explore the available job opportunities after they complete graduation, the major problem is solved, and they can make a sound decision.
- Consult a career counselor: Humans are born with different skills and talents. While this means that the same person can sing and calculate numbers while enjoying playing sports with friends, it is imperative to know which of these activities is comparatively your strong point. So, it becomes equally essential for the engineering students to consult a career counselor before taking a final decision on selecting the right engineering streams for them.
A comprehensive assessment with psychometric tests and an overall understanding of personality, interest, intelligence, and capabilities can help students determine the right career path and give fruitful and productive outcomes in the coming future.
So, after a broad and detailed discussion about guidelines on choosing the right engineering stream, students often tend to struggle to find the right engineering college for them providing a secure and bright future. Sir Padampat Singhania University in Udaipur is one of the best engineering colleges of Rajasthan offering quality education, learning, and development to the students through practical learning environment and regular training sessions, workshops, seminars with the industry experts. SPSU also offers paid internships and final placements in top companies of India and abroad to the students, which acts as a significant career booster for the students and helps them get placed in top companies at high salary packages. SPSU is, therefore, emerging as one of the top ten universities of Rajasthan and the top choice for the aspiring engineering students.